Monday 19 January 2009

The Gift

We cannot keep the sunshine

We cannot keep the rains

Nor pretty fallen snowflakes, upon our window panes


We cannot keep the oceans, nor mountians, nor the sky

We cannot even keep ourselves

No sense in asking 'why'


Lovers cannot keep Their beloved

Though their love be whole and true


But I can keep


The Love You give

While I dream of 'keeping' you


Thank you for the gift of your love


*

Here is the original one I wrote in New York between our phone calls, when I'd asked if you would like a poem, so I wrote one and called you back and read it to you...



I cannot keep a flower

Nor can I keep the sea

I cannot keep the sunshine

Nor the summer breeze touching me

I cannot keep my parents

Nor my friends so dear

But your love and mine for you

I wish to hold it near


If I could take one thing with me

Into eternity

It would be you





My lovely cherub

So our love

Might forever

Be


Worry not about the time

As you wouldn't by the sea

Nor with a flower, or the sky

Don't ever wonder how or why


Please don't ever try

Just be beautiful,

And with me

Until the time is nigh

No comments:

Post a Comment